Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Five and Ten

www.fiveandten.com
1653 S Lumpkin Street
Athens, GA 30606

To celebrate my brother and Katy's birthdays this year we decided to go to a favorite in Athens by local chef Hugh Acheson (previously blogged about his Atlanta restaurant Empire State South).  Known for his use of local ingredients and atypical style of comfort food, it's always exciting to see what will be on the menu.  Not only is the food here amazing, but Five and Ten holds one of the most extensive wine menus in Athens.

We started with a few apps: the pimento cheese with crostinis, half-shelled oysters, and a special of the night, chicken feet.  I had never tried chicken feet and have wanted to for a while, tonight was my shot.  Not really what I was expecting.  I'm sure there are MANY ways to cook your chicken feet and I always imagined they would be crispy, these weren't.  It tasted as if they were Asian styled BBQ.  Nevertheless, they were a bit fatty but appetizing.  I had the trout and I can't exactly remember what sides it came with but I do remember it being great...not being able to remember everything sometimes happens in Athens.  We were also able to try the Lowcountry Frogmore stew which was marvelous with an abundance of shrimp and sausage, and the Columbia River sturgeon with whipped potatoes, collards and favas.



Everything about this restaurant is exceptional from the moment you walk in the front door until you take that last sip of housemade limoncello.  It is a must for those in Athens looking to pleasantly expand their taste buds.  Also in Athens from Acheson, The National and Gosford Wine.

*Meet Hugh Acheson on his book tour for A New Turn In The South.

No comments:

Post a Comment